Thursday, September 15, 2011

"A Matter of Scale" Seeing 1&2

1. In a world where everything measures bigger or small then ourselves, Cole finds that at different scales, whether you are bigger or smaller, things act differently. To Cole, this makes it magically seductive.

Cole's essay showed me how to compare things that I had learned previously in my science classes to myself if I were bigger or larger. I found it very interesting when talking about being the size of an ant or a flea, everything made sense to me I just had not thought of it in that way before.

I wouldn't say any of the new facts will change the way I think, but the perspectives offered will. I already knew that a fly or a number of other insects stick to water through learning about it in school, and before that on my own observations. The newest facts to me were not the actual facts offered, but the way they were presented. So they will not change the way I think, but the way the facts were presented will.

2. I think she ended her essay with a quote because it helps support her argument. It would have changed because it would have only partly been coming from Schrodinger and therefore not as reliable as being his own words as the entire quote.

If she had simply footnoted it, it wouldn't have been as prominent that the quote was coming from another author and therefore less valuable to the reader.

Cole uses a number of different techniques to bring other authors perspectives into her essay for a few reasons. One is because using the same quoting technique over and over becomes dry and boring. It doesn't flow as well and is less creative. Another is because wherever she uses the different quoting techniques that is where the technique fits best in comparison to the paragraph the quote was put in. It helps the essay flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment