Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Edward Hopper Seeing 1&2

1. Hopper directs my attention towards the sky, the ground, the roof of the house, the porch, the rails of the railroad, and the ground. The details I noticed about the house were how it’s so lonely and solemn. In the picture I noticed the windows, for some reason I was really drawn to them. I noticed it’s structure is very statute, it almost reminds me of a statue of a person, unmoving. It almost blends in with the sky and it heavily contrasts with the railroad. My eyes tend to linger on the windows, as I said before, when I look at the painting. Each aspect of the painting reinforces the idea of loneliness by giving off a very empty feeling.

2. Hirsch focuses on the rooftop and the porch. He creates the feeling that the house is lonely. His use of repetition helps speak through the idea of the house being lonely. It gives us a sense of the same. The house doesn’t see much change, so the poem doesn’t change in it’s structure and word use. Hirsch’s poem helps amplify the idea of loneliness I get from the painting. Before reading the poem, I simply saw the painting as bland and uninteresting but afterwards it turned it into a sense of loneliness.

No comments:

Post a Comment